Pages

3.27.2013

We Are Who We Are


So this isn't something I speak lightly of, but I feel like talking about it today cause I noticed it was pretty bad. I think growing up in this new internet age, we all feel the need to adapt this sort of problem we all seem to have. Everyone is now "awkward". Everything is awkward, you can't talk to people because you're too awkward. Theres a freaking show called Awkward for heaven's sake! And I hate it. This new excuse to be antisocial and feel the need to scare yourself into never going outside your house again is complete bull. And I'll tell you why.

This stigma is a terrible thing because it's not only made everyone feel the need to slash up the word into annoying slang like "awk", but it's made this youth feel the need to admit the fact that they won't speak to the boy they like because ,"they're too awkward". Of course you're awkward everyone has always been awkward. Since before Awkward was a show and before the internet memes took the word "awkward" into their own personal phrases, people have always been awkward. I mean this in saying that everyone has little quirks that makes them seem strange or weird. My quirks are that I'm heavily interested in the minds of serial killers and that I do gory, special effects makeup when I'm bored. But that's who we are. It's not because we have a social disorder called Awkwardtidis or some shit, it's because we're all born and bred as unique individuals and that's never going to change.

But when I heard girls say "Oh man she is sooooo awkward  I'm sitting there, silently screaming saying,"Yes! She is awkward! And you dragging your o's out like that also makes you awkward! Awkward is okay! ITS OKAY!" And isn't that just like our generation? To drag out some kind of word and make it this complete and total phobia to all and make it seem like you are this leper if you're considered awkward. The worst is when people also classify themselves as awkward. I've had a girl in my psych class read her paper on diagnosing ourselves, and she diagnosed herself as awkward. You can just imagine me, cringing in my seat as I heard at least three other people use awkward improperly saying that this is the disease that plagues their minds. And when I got up there and read a paper about how I diagnosed myself with obsessive compulsive disorder, they looked at me like I was a crazy person.

Regardless, teenagers alike will feed into this thought that awkward is this classification of person because the internet has somewhat made it so. Don't get me wrong, I love the internet  but it can be a harmful tool sometimes. They can turn anything into a fad, like how this whole obsession with depression developed on tumblr which sickened me, awkwardness has been morphed into a problem, no longer what we are. Situations are now "awkward" and everything in the world according to the internet privileged youth is now awkward. 

No comments:

Post a Comment